Our Governing Body provides strategic leadership and accountability for the Nursery School. Governors appoint the head teacher and support the head teacher in making staff appointments. It is governors who hold the main responsibility for finance in schools, and it is governors who work with the headteacher to make the tough decisions about balancing resources.
Individual governors may not act independently of the rest of the governing body; decisions are the joint responsibility of the whole governing body.
The role of the governing board is a strategic one, its key functions are to:
- set the school’s values, vision and strategic aims and objectives for the school
- agreeing plans and policies for achieving those aims and objectives
- monitor and evaluate the progress the school is making towards achievement of its aims and objectives
- be a source of challenge and support to the headteacher (a critical friend)
- ensuring the school is accountable to the children and parents it serves, its local community, to the Local Authority who funds and maintains it and the staff it employs